FAQs - Payments

FAQs - Payments
How can I pay my child support?

There are many ways to pay your child support including -

Mail payments to:

State Disbursement Unit
PO Box 7280
Bismarck ND 58503

Be sure to include your person number along with your payment.

I owe child support. Will my employer automatically start withholding the amount I owe?

You must report your employment information to Child Support. Child Support will issue an income withholding order to your employer instructing your employer to start withholding support at your next pay period. Monitor your case online to be sure the amount your employer withholds covers the amount you owe. This is especially important at the start of your support obligation and when there is a change in your pay cycle such as when changing jobs.

Why must I report my employment information to Child Support?

State law requires, within 10 days of a new order or any change in information, you must report your employer's name, address, and phone number. You must also report your social security number, address, phone number, driver's license number and any other information that may affect your child support case. To learn more see NDCC 14-09-08.1(2)(a).

My employer is withholding support from my check every pay period. I don't need to be concerned with anything else - right?

It's easy to monitor the activity on your case online. Monitoring your case online will allow you to see if the support amount is being paid on time. Contact Child Support right away if you have any questions or notice something that looks inaccurate.

Can I just pay my support rather than involving my employer?

Autopay is a payment method available to qualified parents. To qualify for autopay you must:

  • have paid the full amount due each month for the last 9 months or since the beginning of your obligation if less than 9 months.
  • submit an application for autopay along with a voided check to Child Support.
I changed jobs. What do I need to do?

Report your new employer's name, address, and phone number to Child Support. Monitor your case activity online to be sure there isn't a gap in payments due to the employers having different pay cycles. If there is a gap in payments, you must make a payment to cover the missed amount. It's important to stay current with your payments to avoid interest charges and other enforcement actions.

FAQs - Online Payments

FAQs - Online Payments
Will I get a receipt when I make an online payment?

Yes.  A receipt will be sent to the email address you provide when making the payment.

How long will it take for an online payment to be credited to my child support case?

Most online payments take about 2 day to reach Child Support.  Your case will be credited when the payment reaches Child Support.  Certain online payments, processed by ExpertPay, can take 7 days to reach Child Support.

Do I have to pay my full support balance due?

You may make partial payments.  Past-due support is subject to interest charges and other enforcement actions.  To avoid interest charges and other enforcement actions you must pay the full balance due.

I am the person who owes support, can someone else make an online payment for me?

Yes.  The person making the online payment for you must enter certain information about you when making the online payment.  Your Person Number is required with most online methods.  Child Support will not give your person number to anyone other than you.  

Can I change or cancel an online payment after it is authorized?

Some payment methods allow you to change or cancel a payment after it is authorized.  See the payment method you chose when making the payment to see if the payment can be changed or cancelled.  Always report a change or cancellation to Child Support.

Who should I contact if my online payment is not authorized?

Contact your bank, or credit card or debit card issuer for assistance.