Direct deposit is a method of electronic funds transfer. You authorize Child Support to deposit your support payments directly into your checking or savings account. Child support payments, spousal support payments, and dollar specific medical support payments can be deposited into your bank account. When Child Support receives a support payment, the payment is processed and sent to your bank account. In most instances, the funds will be in your account in 2 business days.

To have your support payments directly deposited into your checking or savings account:

Child Support will send a confirmation letter to you after your enrollment form is processed.


Why use direct deposit?

SAFE ~ EASY ~ CONVENIENT. Your support payments go directly from Child Support to your bank account. There’s no mailing time; you make fewer trips to the bank; and you have no risk of lost or stolen checks.

Can anyone enroll in direct deposit?

If you receive support payments and have a bank account in your name, you may enroll in direct deposit.

How do I enroll in direct deposit?

Login to your case specific information and select the direct deposit payment method OR mail or fax the Direct Deposit Enrollment and Authorization form and one of the following to Child Support.

  • Voided check
  • Deposit slip
  • Letter signed by a representative of your bank
  • Mail to:  Child Support - Direct Deposit Unit, PO Box 7190, Bismarck ND 58507-7190
  • Fax: 701-328-6074
When will my support payments start going into my bank account?

Payments can start to go into your account about 6 business days after Child Support processes your enrollment form. You will receive a letter letting you know the date that payments can start to go into your bank account. If a payment is received by Child Support before the direct deposit effective date, a check will be mailed to you. Payments will go to your account when received by Child Support.

When will I have access to the funds that have been directly deposited into my bank account?

This is a question you will have to ask your bank as processes may differ from bank to bank.

How do I stop direct deposit?

You must notify Child Support in writing if you wish to stop direct deposit.

What if I change or close my bank account?

Notify Child Support of any changes to your bank account. Login to your case information to make changes to your bank account information or complete and submit a new enrollment form along with a voided check or deposit slip. There is a verification process after changes are made to your account information that may take up to 6 business days. If a payment is received by Child Support during the verification period, a check will be mailed to you.

How do I know when I have received a payment?

Register to receive email and text message notification of payments, and review up-to-date payment information 24/7 when you Login to your case information. The same payment information is available through the automated phone system at 1-800-231-4255 or 701-328-5440.

Will I be notified if my direct deposit enrollment form cannot be processed?

Yes. Your enrollment documents will be returned to you with a letter explaining why the enrollment could not be processed. To avoid delays, include a voided check, deposit slip, or letter from your bank along with your completed enrollment form.

Is there anything else that I should know about direct deposit?

Yes. It is VERY IMPORTANT for you to keep your address and contact information current with Child Support to ensure you receive information from us in a timely manner.

Can my payments be deposited to a bank in another country?

No. Support payments may only be directly deposited to banks within the United States.

Who do I contact with additional questions or concerns?

Please contact Child Support for additional information.