Make a Payment Forms and FAQs

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
How can I pay my child support?

There are many ways to pay your child support including -

Mail payments to:

State Disbursement Unit
PO Box 7280
Bismarck ND 58503

Be sure to include your person number along with your payment.

I owe child support. Will my employer automatically start withholding the amount I owe?

You must report your employment information to Child Support. Child Support will issue an income withholding order to your employer instructing your employer to start withholding support at your next pay period. Monitor your case online to be sure the amount your employer withholds covers the amount you owe. This is especially important at the start of your support obligation and when there is a change in your pay cycle such as when changing jobs.

Why must I report my employment information to Child Support?

State law requires, within 10 days of a new order or any change in information, you must report your employer's name, address, and phone number. You must also report your social security number, address, phone number, driver's license number and any other information that may affect your child support case. To learn more see NDCC 14-09-08.1(2)(a).

My employer is withholding support from my check every pay period. I don't need to be concerned with anything else - right?

It's easy to monitor the activity on your case online. Monitoring your case online will allow you to see if the support amount is being paid on time. Contact Child Support right away if you have any questions or notice something that looks inaccurate.

Can I just pay my support rather than involving my employer?

Autopay is a payment method available to qualified parents. To qualify for autopay you must:

  • be receiving Full Services from Child Support.
  • have paid the full amount due each month for the last 9 months or since the beginning of your obligation if less than 9 months.
  • submit an application for autopay along with a voided check to Child Support.
I changed jobs. What do I need to do?

Report your new employer's name, address, and phone number to Child Support. Monitor your case activity online to be sure there isn't a gap in payments due to the employers having different pay cycles. If there is a gap in payments, you must make a payment to cover the missed amount. It's important to stay current with your payments to avoid interest charges and other enforcement actions.

E-Payment FAQ

E-Payment FAQ
What is an e-payment?

An e-payment is an electronic payment. Child Support accepts e-payments by credit card and debit card.

How does the e-payment process work?

Go to Make a Child Support E-payment and enter your person number, the first 3 letters of your first name and the first three letters of your last name. The information you entered is verified with Child Support and then you are routed to Fidelity Information Services, Inc (FIS) to complete the transaction.

Which credit cards and debit cards can be used to make an e-payment?

Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Star Debit, Pulse Debit, and NYCE Debit.

Is there a fee for this service?

Yes. A non-refundable convenience fee is charged by FIS for each payment. The fee will appear on your credit card or debit card statement as a separate transaction from your child support payment.

Will I receive proof that my e-payment was authorized?

Yes. You will receive a confirmation number at the end of your transaction as proof that your e-payment was authorized. Also, a confirmation will be sent to the email address you provide when making your e-payment.

How long will it take for the e-payment to be credited to my child support case?

Allow at least 2 business days for your e-payment to reach Child Support and be credited to your child support case.

Will Child Support get my credit card or debit card number?

No. Your e-payment is made directly to FIS and not Child Support. FIS safeguards confidential information, including credit card and debit card numbers, at highest industry standards.

Do I have to pay my full support balance due?

No. You may make a partial payment. Any unpaid balance is subject to interest charges and other enforcement actions.

I am the person who owes support; can someone else make an e-payment on my behalf?

Yes. The person making the payment on your behalf must enter your person number, the first three letters of your first name, and the first three letters of your last name when making the payment. Child Support will not give your person number to anyone other than you.

Can I make an e-payment by phone?

No. E-payment by phone is not currently available. We hope to have e-payment by phone available soon. Please check back.

Can I change or cancel an e-payment after it is authorized?

No. Carefully review your e-payment before authorizing it as you cannot change or cancel the transaction once authorized.

Who should I contact if my e-payment is not authorized?

Contact your credit card or debit card issuer for assistance.

Who should I contact with questions about my child support case?

Contact Child Support with questions about your Child Support case.